Saturday 27 February 2016

Housewife wants divorce over €550,000 debt by husband

A 36 year-old housewife, Helen Owie on Tuesday at the Asaba High Court 3, Delta State broke down in tears, begging the court to help recover €550,000 from her husband, one Chidi Ike from Imo State.

Helen in a mild drama at the dock inside the High Court room while she was being cross-examined by her counsel, Mr. Raphael Okhouoleigbe said: “I got a contact from one of my customers in Benin City where I was then trading in clothes around New Benin Market in 2009 by one Obina who later introduced me to my husband Chidi”.

On how the relationship started, the housewife who claimed she knew nothing about Chidi said: “I showed interest that I will marry the brother after we had discussed and my photograph was sent to Chidi.


Three weeks later, Chidi and I met and we started planning marriage, in the process I got a visa to travel to Italy and in 2012 I returned to Nigeria for the marriage, after the marriage, Chidi my husband demanded for a loan of N3million, and I loaned to him €550,000 and also sponsored our marriage for N180,000”.

Speaking further, the housewife who claimed she was duped of a huge sum of money said: “I spent 20 years in Europe and when I returned home, my husband Chidi refused to make love to me for the three years I spent in Nigeria, and each time I asked him to take me in, he will dribble me. Unknown to me he had a wife and children in Mbaise, Imo State, but he told me he was never married when I met him. He moved into Asaba after our marriage”.

Prosecution witness, CPL Elizabeth Ezeh had told the court the Chidi was arrested and subsequently detained at the Police “A” Division Asaba for alleged fraud, adding that he was granted bail and charged to court on three counts of conspiracy stealing and obtaining under false pretence.

But the accused person, Chidi Ike pleaded not guilty to the charges. The presiding judge, Justice Daniel Maidu in his ruling adjourned the case till April 14, 2016 for further hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment