Tuesday 14 July 2015

Spirit Cut My Neighbour’s Throat, Not Me – Suspect

A 40-year-old woman, Helen Okeke, aka Mama Chinedu, who was accused of slitting her neighbour’s throat with a knife in the Ikota, Ajah area of Lagos State, has said she is possessed by a spirit.
The Okigwe, Imo State indigene, said she never knew that Rosemary died until when she was arrested by the police.
Okeke, who said she was unmarried and had a son out of wedlock, asked the family of the deceased to forgive her, as she was not in control of herself during the incident.

Okeke and Rosemary were neighbours in the Ikota Housing Estate. On Wednesday last week, Rosemary, who was reportedly preparing for her wedding, returned home and observed that the clothes she spread on her door had been soiled with urine. She was said to have suspected Okeke and reported to the landlady who pacified her.

However, some minutes after meeting with the landlady, neighbours were said to have been jolted by a sudden cry for help.

Okeke was alleged to have slit Rosemary’s neck with a knife during a brawl and was found with a blood-stained knife at the scene of the crime. Rosemary died on her way to the hospital.

The matter, which was reported at the Ajah Police Division, Ajiwe, was later transferred to the State Department of Criminal Investigation, Yaba.

During a chat with PUNCH on Monday, Okeke, who works as a cleaner, said it was not the first time she would have a quarrel with Rosemary. She said:
 “I have been living in that house for more than two years. The first time we fought, she shone her torch on me and I queried why she did that. She then hit me with the torch, and that was how we fought. 
The landlady, Alhaja, never gave me any quit notice as she claimed. I was even the one preparing to leave the apartment because it was too small for me.”
Okeke said the victim had challenged her to a fight on the fateful day while she was in her room.
She said she never wanted to come out until “a spirit” entered into her room and pushed her out.

She continued:
“On that day, she carried a bucket of water and stood in front of my room saying I should come out if I know I was woman enough. I had just returned from where I went to buy bread and was inside my room. I did not want to come out. 
But a spirit just entered into my room and entered me. I was shaking uncontrollably and that was when I went out. I took a bucket of water and poured it on the floor in front of my room. But Rosemary poured her bucket of water on me, and that was when the fight started.”
She said in the ensuing scuffle, she found a knife in front of her room.
“I cannot explain what happened next. I have never had this kind of experience in my life. It was while I was at the police station that they said she was dead. I need forgiveness from Rosemary and her family. I want people to learn from my example that fighting is not good,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment